Grand Reopening Weekend, October 15 & 16
We invite you to celebrate the reopening of the Spencer Museum of Art with two days of special programs in our transformed facility. Festivities begin at 10am on Saturday, October 15, and continue all weekend long.
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 15
We are throwing open our doors for all to see the Museum in a new light. Join us on our grand reopening day and explore our renovated spaces, discover newly reinstalled galleries, and take part in festivities that bring the building and works of art to life.
- 10–10:30AM Drumroll, please! The KU African Drum Ensemble kicks off the festivities and a ribbon cutting ceremony created by the KU Textiles Studio heralds the beginning of a new era in the Museum’s history.
- 10AM–1PM Visit Pop-up Charlie’s Drawing Exchange for a surprise sketch
- 11AM–1PM Enjoy free culinary creations while supplies last.
- 1–2PM Site-specific improvisation by the KU Department of Dance
- 1–4PM Art Cart: Take inspiration from works of art on view and create your own work of art to take home
- 2–4PM Be transformed into a work of art by Sister Act Face Painting
- 2–4PM Let your imagination fly and make your own kite with artist Minh DuPha
- 4–7PM Participate in Resonant Vessels, a cross-campus progressive concert commissioned by the Museum and performed by the KU Choirs that kicks off our new Integrated Arts Research Initiative. Details online at http://bit.ly/2bWoZlf.
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 16
Flip over our renovation as reopening festivities continue with a free pancake brunch in the Museum’s Central Court until 2PM and activities throughout the afternoon.
- Noon–2PM Chris Cakes pancake brunch in Central Court
- 1–4PM Visit Pop-up Charlie’s Drawing Exchange for a surprise sketch
- 2–3PM Card Table Theatre brings art to life with 1,000 Words performance
Throughout the weekend
- Join one of our informal renovation or gallery tours offered each hour
- Museum Masterpieces: Discover what it’s like to put a museum back together and create your own paper masterpiece with artist Juniper Tangpuz
- Visit our new Study Center, the Museum’s portal to thousands of works not currently on view
- Renovation Station: Explore the anatomy of the building
- Time travel through 99 years of Museum history with 99 records from the Museum Archives
- Enter to win a free Museum membership and other prizes