Plan Your Visit
Our galleries are temporarily closed to install new exhibitions. Details about open hours for the spring will be available closer to February 2021. We will continue to use a reservation system for public visitors to safely limit our gallery capacity. Review our updated visitor guidelines and feel free to call us with any questions at 785.864.4710.
New protocols including limited gallery capacity, increased sanitizing of public spaces, and mandatory face masks help visitors and staff safely experience the Spencer. Please review our guidelines before you visit and contact us if you have any questions or to request a reasonable accommodation.
- We encourage all visitors to check themselves for symptoms of Covid-19 before arriving at the Museum. If you feel unwell, please reschedule to visit at another time.
- Entry to the Museum is limited to our main entrance on Mississippi Street.
- All visitors must make a free reservation during our open hours and arrive at their scheduled time. Visitors who arrive without a reservation or arrive at a different time than their reservation may need to reschedule their visit.
Health & Safety
- All visitors over the age of 2 must wear a face mask covering their nose and mouth at all times. KU policy requires masks be worn on campus whether you are indoors or outdoors. Free disposable masks are available at our Welcome Desk.
- Visitors should maintain a distance of at least 6 feet between themselves and other parties.
- The gallery elevator is limited to one person or one household group at a time.
- Our lockers and coat room are not currently open. Backpacks, purses, bags, coats, and water bottles may be stored on tables located outside the galleries if necessary.
- Food and drink are not permitted in the Museum.
- Free parking is available in Lot 91 behind the Museum on Sundays. Paid parking is available nearby on Mondays and Tuesdays. Learn more on our Directions & Parking page.
Sketching & Photography
- Pencils are the only writing utensils allowed in the galleries. We do not currently have clipboards or writing boards available.
- We welcome non-flash photography for personal use and with the expectation that images will be used in a way that is consistent with the rights of the artists. Selfie sticks are not allowed. Tripods and other professional equipment are prohibited without advance permission.
Healthy Safety Requirements
All members of the KU community, including visitors, must follow these health requirements while on campus.
Tobacco Free KU
The KU Lawrence campus prohibits smoking, tobacco products, and electronic smoking devices. For more information read the full University policy.
As part of The University of Kansas, the Spencer Museum of Art is subject to the Kansas Personal and Family Protection Act, in effect from July 1, 2017. For questions concerning concealed carry on campus, please refer to the University of Kansas Concealed Carry website.