The University of Kansas Lawrence campus is enlivened by outdoor sculptures, many of which are in the Spencer’s collection. Our mobile app features a self-guided audio tour for the sculptures listed on this page. You can also explore them using this Google map. This is not a complete list of all sculptures on campus.
Peter M. Fillerup
The Kansas Jayhawk, 1983
bronze, 4 ft 6 in.
T2015.102, not in the Spencer's collection
John and Virginia Walsh Eulich of Dallas, both 1951 alumni, commissioned this version of the Jayhawk for the Adams Alumni Center, 13th Street and Oread Avenue.
Located in front of the Adams Alumni Center, 1266 Oread Ave.
Elden C. Tefft
bronze, 10 ft
T2015.103, not in the Spencer's collection
Gift of Corinne Wooten Miller of Tonganoxie in memory of her husband, Charles E. Miller
Located in front of Smith Hall, 1300 Oread Ave.
Craig Dan Goseyun
Water Carrier, 1994
bronze, 96 × 36 in.
Gift of Clarence J. and Hazel M. Beck of Rye, N.H. to the University of Kansas to commemorate the 1994 centennial of Spooner Hall
Located in front of Spooner Hall, 1340 Jayhawk Blvd.
Daniel Chester French
Uncle Jimmy Green (Dean James Wood Green), 1924
bronze, 7 ft 7 in.
T2011.083, not in the Spencer's collection
Gift of the members of the Green Memorial Association
Located in front of Lippincott Hall, 1410 Jayhawk Blvd.
Prairie Formation, 1981
bronze, 7 ft 2 in.
T2015.105, not in the Spencer's collection
Donated by the Pi Deuteron chapter of Phi Gamma Delta to commemorate its centennial May 2, 1981
Located east of Watson Library, 1425 Jayhawk Blvd.
Frederick C. Hibbard
The Pioneer, purchased in 1904
bronze, 5 ft 11 1/4 in.
T2015.106, not in the Spencer's collection
Gift of Simeon B. Bell of Wyandotte County, Kansas
Located between Blake Hall, 1541 Lilac Ln, and Fraser Hall, 1415 Jayhawk Blvd.
Elden C. Tefft
Jayhawk, Academic Jay, cast 1958
bronze, 4 ft 2 in.
T2015.107, not in the Spencer's collection
Located in front of Strong Hall, 1450 Jayhawk Blvd.
Korean Cranes Rising (Korean War Memorial), 2005
copper, 7 ft
T2015.108, not in the Spencer's collection
Located on Memorial Dr., directly northeast across Memorial Dr. and Jayhawk Blvd. from Marvin Hall, 1465 Jayhawk Blvd.
Interstate 70, 1970
steel, welding, paint, 62 × 58 1/4 × 259 1/16 in
Located in Marvin Grove, west of the Spencer Museum of Art, 1301 Mississippi St.
Tai Chi Figure, 1985
bronze, casting, welding, 122 1/16 × 196 7/8 in
Museum purchase: Barbara Benton Wescoe Fund in memory of Judge William M. Benton
Located on the east lawn of Green Hall, 1535 W. 15th St.
Statue of Phog Allen, 1997
Bronze, 8 ft 8 in.
T2015.109, not in the Spencer's collection
Phog Allen Memorial Foundation
Located in front of the Booth Family Hall of Athletics on the east face of Allen Fieldhouse, 1651 Naismith Dr.
Salina Piece, 1969
COR-TEN steel, asphaltum paint, 35 × 24 × 34 ft
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. John M. Simpson
Located in front of Youngberg Hall on West Campus, 2385 Irving Hill Rd.